Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roasted Beets

I love beets. I remember when I was a kid, we would go to a restaurant called The Brown Derby, which was ostensibly a steak house with a family atmosphere. One of the things I loved about that restaurant was the salad bar, where you could dress up a dull, boring salad with all kinds of treats. The ones I loved best were the sliced beets that you could put on top of the salad. I could eat a bowlful in a few minutes! My mom hated it because it was messy and stained everything.

I learned later on that there are actually different types of beets, and they come in different colors. We found these at the farmer's market, and they are just a delicious color!

Ingredients
Beets
Minced garlic
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 375 F.

Rinse the beets off, removing any residual dirt. Slice the beets (no need to peel). Warning, the beets might stain your counter, clothes and cutting board!

Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Drizzle some olive oil in the foil and spread with your fingertips so it coats the foil evenly.

Lay the beets on the aluminum foil and distribute them evenly, so they are in a single layer.
Drizzle some olive oil over them and salt and pepper generously. Add the minced garlic and mix the beets so the garlic and olive oil get over all the beets.

Pop them in the oven and cook at 375 F for 20-30 minutes. If a fork can go into them easily, they are done.








No comments:

Post a Comment