Monday, May 21, 2012

Strawberries

Strawberry fields forever!

I think John Lennon and the Beatles really captured an axiom of the gardening world. Because you want to make anything with strawberries, you really need fields and fields of strawberries!

I just have 2 small rectangular boxes for my strawberries.

I planted these last year in April 2011 or so. They were also a big dissapointment! Despite watering and fertilizing religiously, I got 1 small strawberry in August or so. That was it for the season! They grew a lot, but no fruit!

I left them in the boxes over the winter and they did not look so good...all the leaves looked dead and dried up, and no fruit.

As spring began, I decided to clean them up: I cut off most of the vines and leaves that were growing and trimmed them down considerably (they were almost dead anyway).

I still decided to keep them, just to see what happened.

I am sure glad I did!

This spring they came back with a vengeance! Maybe they are late bloomers and really need a year to get going...I really don't know. I do know that I have been having fresh strawberries every other day or so. And they taste sweeter than anything I have every tasted in a store or even from a farmer's market or CSA! I guess plucking and eating them at the right time really pays off!

The only thing is I wish I had more! 2 small rectangular boxes doesn't yield a great many strawberries, but they are so sweet! I put a few on top of mom's cheesecake!











No comments:

Post a Comment