Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pineapple Mint Shave Ice


Pineapple and Mint are best mates. This is a fantastic dessert for summer when fresh mint and pineapple are both in season!

Similar to my post yesterday on Shokubi, Pineapple Li Hing Mui Shave Ice, I was intending to make a pineapple mint sorbet, but it turned into a granita or Hawaiian Shave Ice.

It was still a little tasty, but when frozen it was rock hard! If you let this dish sit out for about 10 minutes, it gets softer and much easier to serve and eat! You can also scrape it straight out of the freezer if you are looking for more of a shave ice texture.

This was a super simple recipe to follow, as long as you have an Ice Cream Maker. We received a KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Stand Mixer Attachment as a wedding gift, and it worked wonderful!

I am still experimenting with it. A few plausible theories I have as to why it didn't come out right:

1. I didn't have enough sugar in the mix. The pineapple had natural sugars in it,  that this would be enough sweetness. I had tasted the mixture before freezing and after freezing, and it was plenty sweet. I had added only 2 tablespoons of sugar to this dish. By contrast, when I was making a Lemongrass Mint sorbet a few months back, I had added 1.5 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water.

So for the same volume of liquid, 1.5 cups of sugar is going to give you a very soft sorbet, and 2 tablespoons is going to give you a very hard granita. The hypothesis I am arriving at is that the sugar is providing a textural element as well, making it softer somehow. Perhaps the sugar is prevents the liquid element from forming ice crystals, making it softer.

2. I didn't seep or boil the liquid.  When I made a Lemongrass Mint sorbet a few months back, I had seeped the flavor elements (mint and lemongrass) in boiling water with sugar for 20 minutes. This allowed the flavor to infuse into the liquid. Obviously, the heat released some natural oils in the lemongrass, and possibly the mint. Maybe by heating the liquid and then adding the sugar, the sugar dissolved into the mixture, changing itself structurally. Any chemists out there who can help me confirm this hypothesis?

3. The pineapple is making the dish too chunky. Somehow the pineapple is interfering with the formation of ice crystals, making the whole thing hard. I don't know the science behind this...Any readers out there chemists? I am experimenting with blending the pineapple in the food processor, then squeezing out the liquid with a cheesecloth. This will impart the flavor of pineapple. Then after everything has gone through the ice cream maker, I add back in a few spoonfuls of the pineapple.

In any event, I found that if I let this granita sit outside the freezer for about 5-8 minutes, the ice crystals loosen up and it is easier to spoon out. Either way, it tastes good.

I will give the recipe for what I did, and then make recommendations for how I would improve the recipe for next time.

This granita, as it is, also works wonders as a base for mixed drinks. Like a Pineapple Mint Mojito!

Ingredients, Initial Run (what I did)
Pineapple, cut and cored, 3.5 cups
Fresh Mint Leaves, 1 large handful, washed
Sugar  2 tablespoons

Procedure, Initial Run (what I did)
Place your ice cream maker's bowl and paddle in the freezer and let it freeze completely (at least 24 hours).

Cut your pineapple into cubes, as outlined in my blog post Cutting a Pineapple. Cut and remove the core. You can either toss the core or makes something else with it. I place my cores in a glass jar with vodka and make pineapple infused vodka!


Add the Pineapple, mint leaves and sugar to a food processor. Blend until smooth.













Set up the Ice cream bowl and paddle on your KitchenAid (see my blog post Lemongrass Granita to learn how to set up your KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker).


Churn for 7-12 minutes on speed 1. Remove and pour into a plastic container. Freeze.






The texture of this batch wasn't as hard as the Pineapple Li Hing Mui Shave Ice, but it was still not smooth at all. It was still rather hard, and I needed to let it sit outside the freezer at room temperature for 5-6 minutes, before serving it. 










Ingredients, 2nd Run

Pineapple, cut and cored, 3.5 cups
Fresh Mint Leaves, 1 large handful, washed
Sugar  1.5 cups
1 cup boiling water

Procedure, 2nd Run
Place your ice cream maker's bowl and paddle in the freezer and let it freeze completely (at least 24 hours).

Cut your pineapple into cubes, as outlined in my blog post Cutting a Pineapple. Cut and remove the core. You can either toss the core or makes something else with it. I place my cores in a glass jar with vodka and make pineapple infused vodka!

Add the pineapple cubes to your food processor and blend until smooth. Strain the pineapple through a fine sieve or cheesecloth. Discard the solids or place the solids in a glass jar of vodka to seep for flavored vodka. Keep the liquid portion in a separate bowl.

In a separate bowl, add sugar and boiling water. Stir till the sugar is dissolved. Add the liquid pineapple and give it a good stir again. Place a kitchen towel over the mixture and let seep for 20 minutes.

Cool.

Set up the Ice cream bowl and paddle on your KitchenAid (see my blog post Lemongrass Granita to learn how to set up your KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker).

Churn for 7-12 minutes on speed 1. Remove and pour into a plastic container. Freeze.


Ingredients, 3rd Run
Fresh Pineapple, cut and cored, 3.5 cups
Fresh Mint Leaves, 1 large handful, washed
3 cups sugar
1 cup of boiling water

Procedure, 3rd Run
Place your ice cream maker's bowl and paddle in the freezer and let it freeze completely (at least 24 hours).

Cut your pineapple into cubes, as outlined in my blog post Cutting a Pineapple. Cut and remove the core. You can either toss the core or makes something else with it. I place my cores in a glass jar with vodka and make pineapple infused vodka!

Add mint, sugar and the pineapple to a large bowl. With your hands or a large pestle, squish the pineapple and mint into the sugar, breaking up the pineapple and releasing some of the pineapple juices and mint oils. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, allowing the pineapple to release some of its juices. Add the boiling water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cover with a kitchen towel and let seep for 20 minutes or until cool.

Strain the mixture with a colander, separating the solids from the liquids. Place the liquid portion into the refrigerator.

Take the solids parts and place in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
Strain the now liquid pineapple with a cheesecloth, adding the liquid portion to the other part. Use the solid portion to flavor vodka or throw away.

Cool the mixture and run through an ice cream maker, as outlined above.

I am tempted to say the third one will give the best consistency in terms of texture, but it will have the most sugar! Shokubi Readers, why don't your try making a batch and let me know how it turns out! Either post on my blog (see bottom of the page) or give me a holler on my Twitter account.

Happy cooking! (And eating!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment