Monday, June 11, 2012

White Lemon Pickle

As some of my readers will know, I have a love affair with pickles, Japanese, Chinese, Moroccan and Indian. 

A few posts ago, I shared a recipe for Moroccan Preserved Lemons that I had made. Around that same time, I made a batch of South Indian Pickles, which I was also craving. 

My love affair with these pickles can be traced back to lunches and dinner of Sambar and Rice. A little extra pickle really adds a punch to a meal. In my house, we always had an odd assortment of pickles: mango, red lemon, gooseberry...the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, these were for the most part store bought and not very tasty at all. Still, it sustained me. 

When I went to back to India on an occasional visit, I was treated to freshly made pickles. There really is no comparison. Pickling is a natural outcome of the weather: with a tropical climate, food goes bad rather quickly in South India, and salt preserves the food. 

My aunt and uncle made the most delicious white lemon pickle I have ever tried. Tangy, spicy and refreshing they really can make an ordinary meal extraordinary. 

On one of my visits a few years back, my aunt gave me a jar of her white lemon pickle. What a princely gift! I ate the pickles everyday, but sparingly--only a few slivers at a time. 

When my supply was running low, I discovered Moroccan preserved lemons, which were a poor substitute...but better than nothing. 

I finally screwed up enough courage to make my own...After several consultations with my cousin and reading up on different lemon pickle recipes, I ventured into that brave new world of pickle making. 

These pickles turned out very good. A few things I have learned: 

Any lemon will do, but I think this pickle would be tasty with the larger types of lemons. I think Meyer lemons would be too sweet. I used a larger lemon, which had much more juice in it. They worked out great, but I still can't seem to recreate the exact same taste as my aunt and uncle's lemon pickle in India. 

The salt is going to preserve the lemons (as well as the carrots, garlic and jalapeno pepper). How much salt to add is the question. I think it is mostly preference as to how salty you want your pickles. I placed the lemons in the container and sprinkle  one or two pinches of salt over them. 


Ingredients
6 large lemons, cut into quarters or eighths
Salt
1 carrot, cut into julienne
3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into julienne
Ginger, peeled and cut into julienne (about 1 inch)


Add the lemons and salt to a large container with a strong seal. The salt will cause the lemons to bleed out their juices, so don't fill the container to the brim, otherwise the liquid will leak out. 

Add the other ingredients and seal.
Leave the jar out for around 2-3 weeks. Taste the lemons. If you want them to develop more flavor, you can leave them out longer. 

I think you can store these inside the refrigerator or outside the refrigerator. Although I store them in the refrigerator. 














No comments:

Post a Comment