Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Honey'd Preserved Figs

I still had some figs left over from my last meal, Fig Balsamic Vinegar, and I didn't want them to go bad. At the same time, I didn't have any dishes I readily wanted to make with figs, so I decided to make a fig jam. I went online and found a recipe for Honey'd Preserved Figs, from a blog called Will Cook for Friends.

This turned out really good! I used some Hawaiian honey from the Big Island and it was so delicious!

This works great as a spread for toasted rustic bread! I am thinking about making some sort of ice cream with it.

Ingredients
1 lbs black mission figs or any other type
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup granulated sugar




Gently wash and stem the figs. Cut them into half or quarters and add them to a saucepan.

Add the remaining ingredients. Give them a good stir, its okay if you break down the figs a bit.

Let the figs marinate in the lemon juice, honey and sugar for 15 minutes.

Put the saucepan with the figs on medium heat, and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I found stirring the figs with a large wooden pestle really does the trick! Continue stirring until the fruit begins to break down.












Reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 7-10 minutes more, or until the jam has thickened to your liking.











Spoon the preserves into a glass jar. They will stay in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Alternatively, you could can the fruits. Properly sealed jars can stay in a cool dark place for several months. Just be very careful with the canning process!

No comments:

Post a Comment