Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Panko (Homemade Breadcrumbs)

I don't see the point of wasting money buying commercial breadcrumbs. They are not very tasty, have lots of unnecessary additives and to boot, they are expensive!

I "save" my breadcrumbs. That is to say, whenever I am cutting a loaf of fresh bread, there will always be a few crumbs left over from when you were cutting the bread. I gather those up and store them in an air tight glass jar. This way, the bread crumbs dry out quite nicely. I also get a variety of different types of bread crumbs.

Also, when I am making Panzanella, I usually produce a great number of bread crumbs from cutting the stale bread. I crush those down with a heavy rolling pin and add them to my bread crumb mix.

We eat a lot of bread in our house, so I can usually get a 1/2 pint full in a month or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment