Monday, August 20, 2012

Turkey Larb


Larb is a spicy and sour ground meat salad from Lao and parts of northern Thailand. I had been craving larb for a while, and decided to make it myself. I scoured the internet and cookbooks for recipes, but eventually settled on larb recipe from one of the blog's I follow, Wandering Chopsticks. This recipe is legit-and very very tasty.






I think what makes the dish is the addition of Bot Thinh/Kao Kua (Vietnamese/Thai Ground Roasted Rice Powder). When I was making this dish, I was debating if I wanted to take the effort to make the ground roasted rice powder. I had mochiko powder and thought it would be fairly similar. I am glad I took the extra effort to make the grounded rice powder. It did not take all that much longer, and it really lends a delicious texture to the meat, while imparting a subtle flavor.

Doctoring up the Vietnamese Fish Dipping sauce is also relatively easy and really adds a nice flavor to this dish!

Using a lean meat like turkey was good in this recipe because it created less fat that I had to drain out!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of Bot Thinh/Kao Kua (Vietnamese/Thai Ground Roasted Rice Powder)
Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce
1/2 lbs of ground meat of your choice (I used turkey, because it is lean and less fatty)
a few springs of mint leaves
a few chives (chopped) or scallions (thinly sliced)
a few kaffier lime leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
Thick Homemade noodles, or store bought rice noodles (be sure to get the thick kind)

Directions
Saute the ground meat in a wok with a little oil until fully cooked. Move the meat to the sides and press down to remove most of the oil. Remove the meat and place in a separate bowl.

Add a 1/4 cup of the Vietnamese fish dipping sauce and mix it with the meat. Taste and add more if necessary.

Add 1 tablespoon of the roasted rice powder, mint and chives/scallions.

Continue to add a little bit of the dipping sauce until you get it to the flavor you want.

Serve over thick homemade noodles or store bought rice noodles. Its so delicious!










No comments:

Post a Comment