Friday, October 14, 2011

Cumin Lamburgers (Lamb Burgers)

Ah! Lamb. The tastiest meat in the world. Food of the Gods (well at least the Gods on Mt. Olympus!). I love lamb. It has a delicate texture and can be used in a full palate of flavors(savory, spicy, sweet), and a delicious texture.

This is a North Indian influenced dish. I took a pound of ground lamb, and added cumin powder and diced onion to it. You can really add as much cumin powder as you like. I usually let my nose be the judge. I also added some Harrisa, minced ginger, minced garlic, bread crumbs and 1 egg. Mix everything together with a fork or with your hands.Then roll them out into smooth balls and press them down into patties. Grill according to your liking.

I usually serve this with store bought potato chips or homemade yam fries. I like to serve it will a little mint-cilantro yogurt sauce or Moroccan ketchup! I found a store in Oakland (the Pasta Shop in Rockridge) carries Moroccan ketchup and it is just delicious! http://rockridgemarkethall.com/pasta-shop

I love a good burger! A classic burger is always good, but I also like to mix it up a bit.



Ingredients
1 lbs ground lamb
Homemade breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 quarter onion, diced
Harrisa
Cumin Powder
Hamburger buns or Artisan bread
Condiments (Mint Chutney, lettuce, tomato, A-1, Spicy Ketchup, Mushrooms, Guacamole)


This is a dead simple recipe.

Mix together your ingredients and add them to the ground lamb. Mariande for at least 30 minute or up to 2 hours (the longer the better, as the flavor will seep in more).

After marinating, form into patties. If you want to get creative, make a thumbprint inside the patty and add some blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese inside and fold the meat over the cheese. This way, the cheese melts inside the patty and diffuses throughout the whole patty.

Heat up your grill with charcoal and get it nice and hot.

Oil your grill and grill the patties and buns to medium or well done. Toast your buns last. Form into burgers and eat. Delicious!












This recipe also goes well with Cilantro Mint Chutney:








2 comments:

  1. I love lamb, too! Thanks for this. We do grilled lamb burgers (mostly for me as I don't eat beef) quite often. Eloise/Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eloise,
    Lamb rules! I hope you have a chance to make these the next time you have some ground lamb!
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete