Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fall Picnics

Fall and Spring are great times to have a picnic! I love picnics...you pack something to eat and something to drink and head off on your bike or car. You don't have to have a place in mind, just find someplace nice and sit down for a picnic.

I remember when I was a kid, my mom told me about the sort of picnics they had as kids. They called them "Carubean Picnics". My granddad would shove all the kids off in the car and head off to some destination. Along the way, he would find nice small family owned shops, and he would pick up some of their specialty items: Salami from a local deli, bread from a baker, vegetables from a near by farm. Then he would find a nice place and sit down with his family and put all the ingredients together into a delicious lunch!

I went up to Napa and Sonoma this past weekend and we packed a very lovely picnic.

I made spiced Morrocan olives, from David Tannis's book, A Platter of Figs. We got some deli meat from AG Farrari, fresh bread from La Farine, the local baker and we were off. The wine we got at the winery...The Bartholomew Park Winery. It was a delicious day! Bartholomew Park has a very nice picnic area, and we biked there so we could drink as much as we liked! Topped it off with tomatoes picked fresh from our garden this morning!



No comments:

Post a Comment