Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Persimmon and Fennel Salad

Persimmon are in season and are delicious.

Growing up in Cleveland, I never had persimmon.

The first time I had persimmon was when I was living in Nagano, Japan.

Come fall, Nagano is full of persimmon. Its delicious and delectable. I remember I saw a strange fruit in the fruit stand, that looked like a tangerine, but much harder. I asked the store keeper what it was and he said "Kaki", which didn't mean to much to me. I had him right the kanji down, and then bought a handful of the fruits.

They are delicious--just skin and eat as is.

I made some into a chutney, which was quite tasty. In Nagano, a delicacy was Hoshikaki, or persimmon which has been dried out....It's one of my favorite fall treats and always brings back good memories of food and friends.

This is a simple salad of Persimmon and Fennel.

Persimmon thinly sliced
Slice a few pieces of fresh fennel
Fresh pomegranate seeds
1 or 2 sprigs of fresh mint, chopped fine
Fresh goat cheese
Good olive oil
Fresh black pepper

Mix the persimmon, fennel, pomegranate seeds together with your fingers. Sprinkle with black pepper, mint and goat cheese. Drizzle with fresh olive oil.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try to make this persimmon salad. We've never eaten persimmon like this in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 美味しいよ!健康いい植物ですよ

    ReplyDelete